Sports performance depends on more than just athletic ability. In fact, both training and injury recovery play a major role in the athletic experience. Sports can have plenty of positive effects on both our bodies and our minds, but long-term athletics can also cause wear and tear for those who are extremely active, including professional athletes.
The newest wave of sensory deprivation tank popularity is now accompanied by a progressive collection of float tank centers. From high school athletes to decorated Olympians, float therapy has proven an effective way to treat injuries and recover from the impact of training and various sports. Learn all about athletic performance, as well as how Epsom salt therapy can help with sports recovery, in the sections below.
The Importance of Recovery for Athletes
Sports performance for active athletes goes hand in hand with recovery efforts. Athletes are conditioned in what it takes to train and stay in shape, both while competing and in the off-season. To illustrate, the benefits of being athletic are vast, and include the prevention of both bone and muscle loss while aging, as well as a quicker recovery time for athletes who have played sports for many years. The key to longevity as a healthy athlete, though, is taking good care of your body – both on and off the field, court, ring, mat or your arena of choice.
Good sports recovery includes a solid injury prevention plan, which typically encompasses a customized wellness routine. When you’re not competing, it’s important to make sure you minimize your risk by:
- Floating in Epsom salt. This helps relax the muscles, reduce lactic acid and speed up recovery from workouts, which can allow you to get back to training harder – faster.
- Getting enough sleep. A lack of sleep can impact muscle mass and hormones.
- Knowing your body’s limits. Pushing too hard can result in unpredictable injuries.
- Staying in shape. This reduces your chances of becoming injured.
- Engaging in activities that improve blood flow. You can do this through any cardiovascular activity.
- Stretching, rolling the muscles and massage. These practices reduce tension and aid in muscle recovery.
- Watching your diet. Consuming enough protein with essential amino acids is necessary for muscle repair.
- Staying hydrated. Water is critical to recovering the muscles. And, adding electrolytes can help replenish those you’ve lost while active.
Float Therapy for Athletic Recovery & Injuries
Floatation, which also goes by the name of Restricted Environmental Stimulation Therapy (REST), is a common athletic injury and recovery technique. At Float8 Wellness Lounge, our various floatation therapy pods, orbs, and cabins all contain 1,000 pounds of Epsom salt, which is composed of magnesium sulfate.
What are the benefits of Epsom salt? Essentially, this compound can allow athletes to achieve weightless relaxation to recover tense muscles. In addition, salt water therapy may help to reduce lactic acid in the bloodstream to speed up athletic recovery time, while working to release endorphins to provide possible pain relief and reducing exercise-induced cortisol levels.
For South Florida-based athletes seeking a haven for relaxation and injury recovery, Float8 has locations in both Deerfield Beach and Fort Lauderdale. We cater to athletes by offering accommodations such as:
- Various floating tank options: We house pods, orbs, cabins and double cabins, so you can stretch out with ease, no matter your size.
- Private floatation spaces: If you are seeking an escape from the limelight, you can trust that our facilities will provide you with whatever you need for a private and peaceful recovery.
- Comfortable water temperatures: Our body-temperature experience allows you to reach deep relaxation. Although not entirely an ice bath alternative, you can reap the benefits of both cold soaks and salt water floating for recovery.
- Evening float sessions: If you prefer to unwind during the evening, we offer nighttime hours – ask us about our overnight options, too.
How Floatation Helps With Athletic Focus
Moreover, athletes can experience the mental float pod therapy benefits by scheduling regular visits. For example, floating tanks can help athletes with:
- Synchronizing the mind with the body and emotional self to achieve overall balance.
- Improving visualization and mental rehearsal to enhance performance.
- Decluttering the brain, which improves focus and concentration.
Sports Performance & Recovery Management
In order to continue a long and fruitful athletic performance career, it’s crucial to take recovery into your own hands. If you are not visiting a float center already, make it a point to book a visit in the near future. Ideally, float therapy benefits should complement your wellness routine, along with yoga, massage, cryotherapy, infrared saunas and other recovery methods you employ. Our Float8ion advisors recommend floating at least once per week, and accelerating your visits surrounding injuries or major competitions. Doing so can ensure you are well-rested, fully recovered, ready to train and up for any physical challenge – no matter the degree.